The wiki is currently undergoing some major improvements. If you need some information and you don't know where to look, please come to #ecnet
- 1 Channels and Rules
- 2 Basic gameplay
- 3 Additional roles
- 4 Optional rules
- 5 Tips and tricks
Channels and Rules
Mafia on ECNet is divided into four primary channels, listed below with relevant rules and regulations. We're all here to have fun, so please just respect the rules. The most important thing to note is communicating with other mafia users besides the moderator outside of these official channels during a game is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
- #mafia - The main channel where the gameplay takes place. If a game is in progress, only participants may speak. During gameplay, please do not use bold text as bold text is reserved for the vote tracking bot to use, and use of bold text may confuse other players. While not in a game, this channel is primarily used to form games.
- #graveyard - All users in this channel will be kicked when a game commences. Dead players are sent here to talk to one another about who THEY think it is! Only dead users may be here, so if someone is brought back to life they will be forced to leave.
- #scum - All users in this channel will be kicked when a game commences. Members of the mafia congregate in this invisible channel to discuss, well, their crimes. Only mafia members may join this channel, and will be kicked when they are killed, and rejoined should they be resurected.
- #mafia-meta - This is the channel where "meta" discussion of mafia can be had. This is where you should ask for help or request to be a moderator. No gameplay takes place here, just discussion of the game.
At the start of the game, the moderator will tell each player what role they will have in the game, usually from the results of a script that selects people randomly. There are two basic roles that players could be:
- Townsperson – A townsperson will know his role, but not the role of anyone else, even his fellow townspeople. The townspeople will win when they have killed all of the members of the mafia.
- Mafioso – A member of the mafia. The mafia will know who his fellow comrades are, and will win when the mafia equals or outnumbers the townspeople.
The moderator's job is to describe the transition from day to night and night to day, describe when things happen such as lynchings, and do anything that's required to keep the game running. The moderator is not a player, so he can't be killed.
During the day-time, everyone in the village gathers together to talk about who among them they think is part of the mafia. The people in the mafia try to blend in as much as possible, while the townspeople try to look for people who they think seem suspicious. Everyone, even the people in the mafia, can vote on who they think should be lynched, and once someone gains a majority of the votes, the town lynches them.
Anyone can vote to lynch someone using the command !vote Person. If someone wants to remove their vote, they can use !unvote
During the night-time, the villagers go to sleep for the night (so they can't talk), and the mafia sneak off to a private channel to discuss who they want to do in. Once they make their choice, they'll send their vote to the moderator, who will announce who got killed the next morning.
After night, the next day will come, and the village will gather again to talk about who they want to lynch. This cycle continues until either all the mafia are dead or the mafia equal or out-number the townspeople.
In addition to the simple townsperson and mafioso roles, there are also other roles that can shift the balance of the game and make it more interesting. The additional roles can be pro-town roles that act in the interest of the town, anti-town roles that act against the interest of the town, or third-party, which means they can be neutral or against everyone.
- Cop – A cop can investigate a player each night to find out if that person is in the in the mafia or not. Some characters cannot be investigated, such as the godfather, and any investigations on immune players turn up innocent.
- Doctor – The doctor chooses one player to protect each night. If that person is attacked during the night, he will not die. The doctor cannot protect himself.
- Vigilante – The vigilante can choose to kill someone during the night.
- Godfather – The godfather is a member of the mafia who cannot be investigated by a cop. Any investigations on the godfather appear innocent.
- Mafia factions – In large games, the mafia may have more than one faction. These factions act independently of each other, and win when they can defeat their rival faction and the townspeople.
- Serial killer – The serial killer must kill one person per night, and his goal is to be the last person alive.
- Doctor (pro-town) – (described above)
- Naive doctor (pro-town) –
- Weak doctor (pro-town) –
- Paranoid doctor (pro-town) –
- Insane doctor (pro-town) –
- CPR doctor (pro-town) –
- Exotic dancer (pro-town) –
- Governer (pro-town) –
- Hider (pro-town) –
- Commuter (pro-town) –
- Bodyguard (pro-town) –
- Elite bodyguard (pro-town) –
- Reviver (pro-town) –
- Cop – (described above)
- Naive cop (pro-town) – The naive cop always gets innocent results. Naive cops are not told that they are naive, they believe they are normal cops.
- Paranoid cop (pro-town) – The paranoid cop always gets guilty results. Like the naive cop, the paranoid cop believes he is a normal cop.
- Insane cop (pro-town) – An insane cops always gets reversed results and believes he's . Unlike naive or paranoid cops, an insane cop can help the town by un-reversing the results he gets.