The wiki is currently undergoing some major improvements. If you need some information and you don't know where to look, please come to #ecnet
- 1 Basic gameplay
- 2 Mafia channels
- 3 Additional roles
- 4 Optional rules
- 5 Tips and tricks
At the start of the game, the moderator will tell each player what role they will have in the game, usually from the results of a script that selects people randomly. There are two basic roles that players could be:
- Townsperson – A townsperson will know his role, but not the role of anyone else, even his fellow townspeople. The townspeople will win when they have killed all of the members of the mafia.
- Mafioso – A member of the mafia. The mafia will know who his fellow comrades are, and will win when the mafia equals or outnumbers the townspeople.
The moderator's job is to describe the transition from day to night and night to day, describe when things happen such as lynchings, and do anything that's required to keep the game running. The moderator is not a player, so he can't be killed.
During the day-time, everyone in the village gathers together to talk about who among them they think is part of the mafia. The people in the mafia try to blend in as much as possible, while the townspeople try to look for people who they think seem suspicious. Everyone, even the people in the mafia, can vote on who they think should be lynched, and once someone gains a majority of the votes, the town lynches them.
Anyone can vote to lynch someone using the command !vote Person. If someone wants to remove their vote, they can use !unvote
During the night-time, the villagers go to sleep for the night (so they can't talk), and the mafia sneak off to a private channel to discuss who they want to do in. Once they make their choice, they'll send their vote to the moderator, who will announce who got killed the next morning.
After night, the next day will come, and the village will gather again to talk about who they want to lynch. This cycle continues until either all the mafia are dead or the mafia equal or out-number the townspeople.
Mafia is divided up into four major channels, each with its own rules to make gameplay more fun and fair.
- #mafia – The main channel where the gameplay takes place. Once a game is in progress, only participants are allowed to speak. Also, please do not use bold text, because bold is reserved for the vote tracking bot and bold text may confuse other players. When there's not a game going, this channel is primarily used for forming new games or talking about the last ones.
- #graveyard – During a game, dead players are sent here so they can talk to each other about the game. Players will be kicked out of the channel once the game commences.
- #scum – The mafia members may join this channel before the game starts so that they can plot over who they want to kill at night and go over any strategies they might think will help them in the morning. Players will be kicked out of the channel once the game commences.
- #mafia-meta – This channel is where discussion of the mafia game in general can be discussed. No gameplay takes place here, just discussion of the game.
When you're playing a game, communicating with other people playing mafia outside of these channels is considered cheating and is not allowed.
In addition to the simple townsperson and mafioso roles, there are also other roles that can shift the balance of the game and make it more interesting. The additional roles can be pro-town roles that act in the interest of the town, anti-town roles that act against the interest of the town, or third-party, which means they can be neutral or against everyone.
- Cop – A cop can investigate a player each night to find out if that person is in the in the mafia or not. Some characters cannot be investigated, such as the godfather, and any investigations on immune players turn up innocent.
- Doctor – The doctor chooses one player to protect each night. If that person is attacked during the night, he will not die. The doctor cannot protect himself.
- Vigilante – The vigilante can choose to kill someone during the night.
- Godfather – The godfather is a member of the mafia who cannot be investigated by a cop. Any investigations on the godfather appear innocent.
- Mafia factions – In large games, the mafia may have more than one faction. These factions act independently of each other, and win when they can defeat their rival faction and the townspeople.
- Serial killer – The serial killer must kill one person per night, and his goal is to be the last person alive.
- Doctor – (described above)
- Naive doctor – A naive doctor is told he is a regular doctor, but he has no actual powers of protection.
- Weak doctor – A weak doctor is just like a regular doctor, except he will die if he protects a pro-mafia role.
- Paranoid doctor – A paranoid doctor can protect someone during the night like a regular doctor, but the person he chooses to protect will also be prevented from doing anything during the night.
- Insane doctor – An insane doctor will have a 50% chance of killing his patient instead of protecting him.
- CPR doctor – A CPR doctor is similar to regular doctors, except that if his patient is not attacked during the night, the patient will die.
- Exotic dancer – Exotic dancers can choose one person per night to distract so that person won't be able to do anything during the night.
- Governor – The governor has the power to pardon someone from being lynched. If he uses his power, than that person will not be lynched and night will occur. The governer cannot pardon himself, nor can he stop someone from being lynched twice.
- Hider – The hider can chose someone to hide behind each night. If someone tries to kill the hider while he's hiding, then the kill fails. If the person the hider is hiding behind gets killed, then the hider dies too.
- Commuter – A commuter can chose to skip town during the night, and any attempts to kill him won't succeed. He cannot hide for two nights in a row.
- Bodyguard – A bodyguard can choose someone to protect during the night. If the person he is protecting dies, then the bodyguard will die in his place.
- Elite bodyguard – An elite bodyguard is like a regular bodyguard, except if someone attacks whomever the bodyguard is protecting, the attacker dies with the bodyguard.
- Reviver – A reviver has the ability to protect someone who has been killed during the game. This role usually has restrictions to balance the game, such as allowing the reviver to only do this once.
- Cop – (described above)
- Naive cop – The naive cop always gets innocent results. Naive cops are not told that they are naive, they believe they are normal cops.
- Paranoid cop – The paranoid cop always gets guilty results. Like the naive cop, the paranoid cop believes he is a normal cop.
- Insane cop – An insane cops always gets reversed results and believes he's . Unlike naive or paranoid cops, an insane cop can help the town by un-reversing the results he gets.
- Day cop – A day cop can investigate another player during the day instead of at night.
- Burglar – A burglar can target one player to steal from. In most game variations, if they steal something from a player with a role, for instance a gun from a cop, a stethescope from the doctor, that person can no longer perform their role.
- Gunsmith – A gunsmith can target one player each night to check and find out if they have a gun. A gun reveals them to have a role that requires a gun.
- Vigilante – (described above)
- Daytime vigilante – A daytime vigilante is similar to a regular vigilante, except he kills openly during the day. After he kills someone, the game continues through the day. Because of the power this role has, the daytime vigilante is usually limited to one kill per game.
- Overeager vigilante – The overeager vigilante must kill someone at night.
- Paranoid gun owner – If the paranoid gun owner is targeted at night for anything, whether it's a kill, investigation, or even protection, the paranoid gun owner must kill whomever targeted him. If he was targeted by the mafia, he kills the last person who voted for him.
- Bomb – If the bomb is targeted by anyone, the killer dies two. If the bomb is lynched or targeted by the mafia, the bomb kills the last person who voted for him.
- Vengeful townie – A vengeful townie has a one-shot kill he can use just after being lynched
Other pro-town roles
- Mason – Masons are a group of townspeople who can meet at night like the mafia and know each other to be innocent.
- Mason recruiter – A mason recruiter starts out by himself and tries to recruit one person each night. If he tries to recruit a pro-towns role, that person joins the group and is able to meet at night with the other masons. If he tries to recruit a pro-mafia role, the mason recruiter dies and the group of masons cannot gain anymore members.
- Miller – The miller is a regular townsperson, but if a cop tries to investigate him, the miller seems guilty. Sometimes the miller is told that he's a miller, sometimes not.
- Princess – The princess is a regular townsperson, except that if she gets lynched or dies during the night, the whole town rests during the day to mourn her death.
- Bus driver – The bus driver chooses two people to switch during the night. Anything that targets one member will actually happen to the other member, and vice versa. For example, if a cop investigates Person A who is in the mafia, Person B who is a townsperson will be investigated instead, leading the cop to believe that Person A is innocent.
- Nexus – Any ability targeting the nexus at night will randomly target someone else instead.
- Traitor – The traitor is a member of the mafia who knows who his fellow comrades are, but cannot join the mafia hideout. The traitor tries to work with his voice and vote to keep the mafia from getting lynched. Each night, the mafia can invite who they think is the traitor into the hideout, making him a full-fledged member. Before the invitation, the traitor seems innocent to cop investigations, but shows up guilty after joining the hideout.
- Janitor – The janitor can clean up the body after a kill so that the townspeople won't know who that person's role was. Only the janitor is told what role the body had, and he can tell his comrades next nightfall or announce it to the town at his discretion.
- Prostitute – The prostitute is like the pro-town's exotic dancer, except the prostitute is pro-mafia. The prostitute usually tries to target cops or doctors.
- Suicide bomber – The suicide bomber can target someone during the day to kill, taking out both the victim and the terrorist.
- Enablers – There are two kinds of enablers: a police chief and a hospital head of staff. If the police chief dies, then none of the cops can investigate, and if the hospital head of staff dies, then none of the doctors can protect.
- Backup – There are two types of backups: a deputy and a nurse. A deputy can investigate after the cops die and a nurse can protect after the doctors die.
- Lyncher/Lynchee – The lyncher is a third-party player who's goal is to get a specific player lynched. If the lynchee is killed during the night or if the lyncher is killed before he can get to the lynchee, the lyncher loses. The lynchee is just a regular townsperson throughout the game. If the lyncher manages to get the lynchee lynched, then the lyncher wins and is typically removed from play until the end of the game.
- Siblings – The siblings consist of one pro-town player and one pro-mafia player. If one dies, then the other commits suicide the following night.
- Lovers – The lovers consist of one pro-town player and one pro-mafia player. They can win if the game ends with both of them alive. If one of them dies, the other must commit suicide the following night, and at that point can only win if their respective side wins.
- Serial killer – (described above)
- Cannibal – The cannibal is a serial killer variant. A FBI agent investigates a player each night like a cop, except he tries to find out whether or not the player is a cannibal or not. If the cannibal dies, the FBI agent becomes a normal cop.
- Psychopath – The psychopath is a serial killer variant. A psychiatrist targets a player each night to find out if that player is a psychopath. If he is, then the psychiatrist cures him, the psychopath becomes a normal townsperson, and the psychiatrist becomes a normal doctor.
- Arsonist – The arsonist is a serial killer variant. A firefighter is like a doctor, but prevents people from being killed by the arsonist. If the arsonist dies, the firefighter becomes a normal townsperson.
- Survivor – The survivor's only goal is to survive until the end of the game. He doesn't necessarily care if the mafia or the townspeople win.
- Cults – A cult leader starts the game by himself and tries to recruit townspeople into his cult each night. The cult is like the mason group, except the cult is a separate anti-town group trying to gain control over the town. The cult leader is successful if he tries to recruit pro-town people, but dies if he tries to recruit someone in the mafia.
- Jester – A jester's goal is to try to get lynched. He wins if he can manage to do so, but loses if he dies any other way.